Thursday, October 8, 2009

Five Weeks Old!

This weekend, Little Bear came to visit and I even sat in the chair with him and played patty-cake with him. I think he enjoyed playing with the puppies some, but he learned quickly to sit in the chair and only play with one at a time, because of their sharp little teeth!


They really ARE little “Land Piranhas.” I love my babies, but they are eating me alive. I rarely get into the bed with them, and I’ve learned to always be on guard. Just LOOK at the shredded edges of my poor ears!


And, you can only imagine what they’ve done to my poor teats as I don’t want to put any x-rated photos up! I have TRIED to be a good Mama, but I finally decided a couple of days ago to go into major WEANING mode, so I only get in the bed once or twice a day for just long enough for them to drink enough to make myself comfortable.

Grammy told me it was ok, and that she would take care of feeding them now that they can eat by themselves. I think she was tired of hearing me cry out in pain! She can’t believe how much they eat AND how much they put out the other end! She says she FORGOT, over the past 3 years since BG and I were babies, just how much WORK taking care of Poop-PEES was.

They wake up and immediately start screaming and fussing because they have to go potty and they don’t want to do it in their Playground, so either my Dad or Grammy puts them in the big laundry basket and hauls them out into the back yard where they usually go pee within a minute or two and poopy within 5-10 mins. Last night, Mercy got out of the box on her own and got all the way out to the doggy door, but she doesn’t know how to open the flap to get the rest of the way out.


Grammy got tired of cleaning up after them indoors after several days, so that was when she decided that they would start taking them outside. She still doesn’t want to take them out at night because they are the size of small rabbits and we have some BIG owls and hawks around here. That’s why I wasn’t allowed to go out at night until I was about 6 months old, and I still don’t like to go out unless my night light that my Dad rigged up, is on.


Now for the pup’s update pictures:

Gimli is getting lighter and lighter cheeks, but his back is still staying black. He weighs 6 pounds now, but is still quite laid back.

He loves being held, kissing whoever all over the face very enthusiastically. He has a slightly longer body. Here is a picture of him on his back so you can see what he will look like when his ears come up.


Mercy is slowing down on her growth and is about 5 and a half pounds now. She knows her name and tends to be the explorer when in new situations.


She, too, loves to be held and tends to come over to people’s feet and whine until they DO pick her up. She is a VERY sound sleeper!

Neelix is staying small, and only weighs in at 4 and a half pounds. He is our Wild Child… totally feisty, attacking siblings, people’s toes and ankles, and even Sadie’s feet.


He doesn’t mind being picked up and fussed over for maybe a minute, but then he wants back down. He, too, is an explorer… even more so than Mercy, and Grammy has to keep a close watch on him because he leaves everyone else and goes off by himself to check things out.


Gracie is still the biggest and most solidly built. She weighs just over 6 lbs. and is still built like a brick—a solid, low, wide little girl. She has a bit of a temper, and will fight back if she gets ticked, like when Nee-Nee attacks her.

Next time, we will post the vids of the babies first outing. Have a great day!

10 comments:

Martha said...

Oh your little pups are adorable - their little faces are sooooo full of character already!
We especially liked the cheeky face of Gimli!
We take your point about the teeth - ouch!
Weaning sounds good to us - you have done your bit - these pups are a credit to you!
love you lots
Martha & Bailey xxxx

Dexter said...

I had to chaperone Pee-Wee on his potty trips all the time when he still looked like foodables to the circling birds. Now I wonder sometimes if that was such a good idea.

At least the little pups are getting the idea of a potty place.

Slobbers,
Mango

Kelly said...

so incredibly cute!!

Maxmom said...

They are really getting soooo beautiful and very cute indeed!!! Have you bottled that puppy-breath yet? There's nothing like puppy-breath!
Licks
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA

betty said...

oh my gosh I just want to come to your house and take those little ones home with me (for just a day, LOL) too cute about putting them in a laundry basket to take them out to do their business! that's a heavy laundry basket too when you add up all their weight!

Little Bear looks like he has grown since the last picture I saw of him; I'm glad you guys got a chance to visit

betty

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

What charmers!

...save fur the piranha teeth of khourse!

Tank woo fur sharing!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

ClassyChassy said...

OOOOOO! Chubby puppies! They are changing so - the colors and patterns are so pretty!!! Keep em coming, grammy!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

I can't believe how big those pups are, and how much they have changed into round little pup kids.
Poor Dott, she must be so sore...and golly, they really ARE eating her up alive! She has been such a terrific mother!!
Will be glad for Dott when the kids are weaned.
Each face and personality is so individual. I just love 'em all, and so wish that we could hold them in person. Your pics and vids and descriptions share so much, that it's "almost" like being there. Only, "we" get out of that poop-pee duty detail!
Hang in there, the kids are growing fast. You've all been wonderful with them. The big play pen is fantastic, and I still think you could mass produce those puppies and make some bucks!
Bless you all for your caring ways....another happy litter.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

By mass produce those puppies, I don't mean the furkids, I mean the playpens. Thought I should clarify what I meant by puppies for heaven's sake!

Ziggy Stardust said...

Gracie is mine says Mommy. Dott, I understand why you don't want to get bit up anymore, ouch. They are so cute!! I am glad they are going outside already. I can't believe its been 5 weeks already.

licks and sniffs, Sasha