Friday, January 29, 2010

We’re HOME!!!! by BG

We are home… FINALLY! THAT was quite a trip! We got home about midnight last night and then had to unload the car of all the stuff we took with us. Grammy didn’t get to bed until 1 a.m. and she’d only gotten 3 ½ hours of sleep the night before.

We left Sunday afternoon instead of early that morning, because they found a problem with the trailer Dad was going to haul, and had to fix it at the last minute. We had left the house early in the morning because Robert had to take us over and then get back to church as he runs the LCD for the songs and sermon every Sunday.

We played around the “yard” while our people loaded all of our stuff into the cab of the BIG truck we were going in. About the time everything got loaded, Dad’s supervisor that was doing a last minute check of the trailer we were hauling, found some kind of big problem, and they had to do a lot of quick running around to find parts to get it fixed before we left.

Dad wasn’t to happy because we were already leaving later than he’d hoped too, and we only had 4 days to get all the way across the U.S. He had to have the trailer in Jacksonville, Florida by 4 p.m. on Thursday, the 21st so that it could be loaded on the ship that would take it overseas.

While Dad got more and more stressed, waiting for the trailer to be fixed, WE all got to run and play, so we didn’t mind too much that we didn’t leave at 8 a.m. like Dad had planned.

Actually, we didn’t leave Bakersfield until AFTER 1 p.m.

We got as far as Quartzsite, Arizona that night… About 355 miles. We got to stop about every 3 hours or so and get out to go potty and get a drink of water, and we got some hamburger or ham biscuits whenever Mom and Dad had breakfast or dinner in a restaurant, as well as our doggy kibbles at night.

Monday morning, we left Quartsite and continued driving down I-10 through Arizona and New Mexico. Pippin is waiting for his Papa to get back from the restaurant with our mid-day snack in this pic. We made it to a Rest Stop just past El Paso, TX by that night… another 570 miles or so…

Early Tuesday morning, we left the Rest Stop and headed deeper into Texas. THAT is a BIG state!!! About the time we got to Fort Stockton, Dad noticed a problem with the truck’s temperature gauge. He called Ryder (The company they rented the truck from) and we went to a shop there in Ft. Stockton to have it checked. They said it wasn’t serious, but we had to go to San Antonio to their big shop to have them fix it.

Dad was NOT happy about losing almost 5 hours of driving time since he was on a tight schedule, but we got to get out and play while they worked on the truck, so WE didn’t think it was to bad.


Fenway said...

What a trip! And how exciting you were able to go along and see the country. Did you get to go to the stockyards in Texas and see all that fresh meat? I really hope you Dad got you each one of those huge Texas T-Bones!

Glad you're all safe at home. By the way, I ALWAYS have to wear a collar in the car, too. But NEVER in the house. any insight into that ritual?

Your new pal,

Chatty Crone said...

WELCOME HOME - what a long wonderful trip - don't know if I could do that or not!

Sounds so interesting.

I'm glad you made it safe.


Maxmom said...

Glad you guys are safe and sound after such a hectic trip!. Welcome home!

Martha said...

Welcome home corgis! What a trip! We wanted to see mom climb up those stairs into the truck!!!! It looked very high.
It was good that you managed to turn every set back into an opportunity for play!
We reckoned those were the best parts.
We get very bored on long road trips but have never been in a truck that makes a noise like that!
What an adventure. Such little dogs so high up in the biggest truck we have ever seen!!!
love and kisses
Martha & Bailey xxx

Laurie said...

Welcome home!

betty said...

welcome home!!! I bet that was an adventure, especially stopping every 3 hours to take a break; sorry for all the problems with the truck though; that would be nerve wracking being on a schedule like you were


ClassyChassy said...

It seems you get spam on your blog comments just like I do? Was reading the comment above mine. Hmmmm. Anyways, welcome home, and it sounds like a memorable journey!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

How nice woo are bakhk -

Sorry to see the trip wasn't khwite as smooth as the hoomans would have hoped but......

Tank woo fur sharing your travels!


Unknown said...

What a trip, what a truck, what fun for you guys! And thank you for inviting us along through your blog. I hope granny catches some zzzs soon.

Angela said...

Welcome Home! You guys sure do get to have a lot of fun! What an adventure you had! I'm glad you made it there and back safe and sound!


^..^Corgidogmama said...

Glad to hear that you're home safe and sound. Hope your folks are still sane! It's not easy traveling with a band of corgi kids! Sounds as if you hit a couple of snags that could have affected your Dad's good humor!!!
Bet there are more stories to up, bet Dott was glad to see everyone!

Morgan in Pittsburgh said...

Hi OC! That was quite a trip. Hey, thanks for stopping by to meet us. We have seen you around the DWB blog-o-sphere, and we really don't know why we haven't
stopped by before this... hope you don't hold it against us! BOL! We have you on our list now, and, very nice to meet you!
your pals, Morgan & Maisie

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Welcome Home!!! Sounds like a fun and busy!

Glad you are home safe and sound!

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Checking your blog ... saw your entry on Mango's contest. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Jack & Moo said...

Welcome home, Corgis! That was quite an exciting trip! Woo pups are well-traveled. Did woo see lots of herding dogs on the road? I think they use them out west a lot, don't they? I made a herding video for my blog to teach Moo about herding. Check it out if woo have time!

a-roos to yous,
jack a-roo & moo too

Kari in Alaska said...

Welcome home! Glad it was a good trip